Thursday 17 January 2019

Day 12 - 15 February 2013

I was planning to have a day and a half to explore Gisborne but due to Air New Zealand cancelling my afternoon flight and putting me on a very early morning flight instead I only had one day. So I was up early in the morning to make the most of the day. First stop was for breakfast and then out to look around.






























The main reason for a trip to Gisborne was to be able to see the site where Captain Cook first landed in New Zealand back in 1769. The site is much further back from the sea now due to land being reclaimed and it is much more low key that I expected. Still wonderful to be able to stand in the same spot as Captain James Cook.


This picture shows what the site looked like during the opening ceremony for the monument in 1906.                                                                        








No comments:

Post a Comment